Last Updated on November 9, 2023 by Abdul Qadeer
There are some verses in the Holy Qur’an which have been revealed by Allah to guide us. They are so powerful that just reading them will protect you, your home and your family from many evils and evil forces.
This verse is verse 255 of Surah Baqarah which is commonly known as Ayat al-Kursi. It is probably the most well-known verse in the entire Ummah, estimated to be known by millions of people by heart. It will be more difficult to find a believing Muslim who does not know Ayatul Kursi. This is something you can’t really say about many other verses in the Qur’an.
Abdullah bin Masoud, a companion of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: Allah has not created anything in the heavens and the earth, in Paradise and Hell, that is higher than Ayat al-Kursi. (Subhanallah!)
Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah ‘s Apostle ordered me to guard the Zakat revenue of Ramadan. Then somebody came to me and started stealing of the foodstuff. I caught him and said, I will take you to Allah’s Apostle! Then Abu Huraira described the whole narration and said:) That person said (to me), (Please don’t take me to Allah’s Apostle and I will tell you a few words by which Allah will benefit you.) When you go to your bed, recite Ayat-al-Kursi, (2.255) for then there will be a guard from Allah who will protect you all night long, and Satan will not be able to come near you till dawn. (When the Prophet heard the story) he said (to me), He (who came to you at night) told you the truth although he is a liar; and it was Satan. (Sahih Bukhari#5010)
Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle deputed me to keep Sadaqat (al-Fitr) of Ramadan. A comer came and started taking handfuls of the foodstuff (of the Sadaqa) (stealthily). I took hold of him and said, By Allah, I will take you to Allah’s Apostle . He said, I am needy and have many dependents, and I am in great need. I released him, and in the morning Allah’s Apostle asked me, What did your prisoner do yesterday? I said, O Allah’s Apostle! The person complained of being needy and of having many dependents, so, I pitied him and let him go. Allah’s Apostle said, Indeed, he told you a lie and he will be coming again.
I believed that he would show up again as Allah’s Apostle had told me that he would return. So, I waited for him watchfully. When he (showed up and) started stealing handfuls of foodstuff, I caught hold of him again and said, I will definitely take you to Allah’s Apostle. He said, Leave me, for I am very needy and have many dependents. I promise I will not come back again. I pitied him and let him go. In the morning Allah’s Apostle asked me, What did your prisoner do. I replied, O Allah’s Apostle! He complained of his great need and of too many dependents, so I took pity on him and set him free. Allah’s Apostle said, Verily, he told you a lie and he will return. I waited for him attentively for the third time, and when he (came and) started stealing handfuls of the foodstuff,
I caught hold of him and said, I will surely take you to Allah’s Apostle as it is the third time you promise not to return, yet you break your promise and come. He said, (Forgive me and) I will teach you some words with which Allah will benefit you. I asked, What are they? He replied, Whenever you go to bed, recite Ayat-al-Kursi — ‘Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-l-Haiy-ul Qaiyum’ till you finish the whole verse. (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no satan will come near you till morning. So, I released him. In the morning, Allah’s Apostle asked, What did your prisoner do yesterday? I replied, He claimed that he would teach me some words by which Allah will benefit me,
so I let him go. Allah’s Apostle asked, What are they? I replied, He said to me, ‘Whenever you go to bed, recite Ayat-al-Kursi from the beginning to the end —- Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-lHaiy-ul-Qaiyum—-.’ He further said to me, ‘(If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no satan will come near you till morning.’ (Abu Huraira or another sub-narrator) added that they (the companions) were very keen to do good deeds. The Prophet said, He really spoke the truth, although he is an absolute liar. Do you know whom you were talking to, these three nights, O Abu Huraira? Abu Huraira said, No. He said, It was Satan.(Sahih Bukhari#2311)
AYATUL KURSI MEANING (Here’s audio version of Ayatul Kursi with English meaning)
AYATUL KURSI TRANSLITERATION:
Allahu laaa ilaaha illaa huwal haiyul qai-yoom
laa taakhuzuhoo sinatunw wa laa nawm; lahoo maa fissamaawaati wa maa fil ard
man zallazee yashfa’u indahooo illaa be iznih
ya’lamu maa baina aideehim wa maa khalfahum
wa laa yuheetoona beshai ‘immin ‘ilmihee illa be maa shaaaa
wasi’a kursiyyuhus samaa waati wal arda wa la ya’ooduho hifzuhumaa
wa huwal aliyyul ‘azeem
AYATUL KURSI ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Allah – there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence.
Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep.
To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth.
Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission?
He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills.
His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not.
And He is the Most High, the Most Great.
AYATUL KURSI Arabic:
Here’s list of benefits according to Hadith and Scholars.
- One who recites ayatul kursi every morning will be in the protection, safety of Allah until the night.
- It also said that “Whoever recites ayatul kursi immediately after each prescribed prayer (salah), there will be nothing stranding between him and his entering paradise except death.” The prophet (ﷺ) Sahih Al Jami, (NO. 6464).
- Recitation of ayatul kursi on behalf of those who have passed away gives light (noor) in their graves.
- Learn Ayatul Kursi so that you can say it before leaving your home. Recite it once before leaving, The Almighty will send down a group of Angels to protect you. Reciting it two times, 2 groups of angels are sent down. Say it a total of 3 times no angels will come down because Allah himself will take care of you.
- Saying this ayat to one’s wealth or to his children, they will be protected from the Shaitan
- When one is alone in the house, recitation of Ayatul Kursi and asking Allah for help will make you remain calm and you will not fear.
- Whoever recites the first four ayats of Surah Al Baqarah followed by Ayatul Kursi and then the last 3 ayats of Surah Baqarah, will not be inflicted with any kind of difficulty in his wealth or himself, Shaitaan will not come near him and he will not forget the Quran
(According to Abu Masood Al Ansaari and narrated by Al-Bukhaari, 4723; Mulsim, 807)
- Hadhrat Hassan bin Ali (ra) says: “A person once asked: “Oh Rasulallaah (ﷺ) what does that person receive who recites Ayatul Kursi after every Fard Salaat ? Nabi (ﷺ) said: “That person remains under the protection of Allah until the next Salaat.”
- Hadhrat Abu Qatada (RA) narrates that Nabi (ﷺ) said.“Whoever reads Ayatul Kursi and the last Ayat of Surah Baqarah when in difficulty, then Allah listens to that plea.”